Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:44 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Greyson - Now I'm only intermittently mildly terrified!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittanyt View Post
one more question that sounds silly but i'm not a cook so i have to ask. one his brown rice, it says 170 calories for 45 grams of rice (dry). would you all assume that is the same as cooked? i looked for a converter and one place said 45 grams is 3/8 cup and another said it is 1/2 cup. i just don't know if the calories are the same for cooked. i know that sounds dumb and it's probably a very obvious answer but i just had to be sure
Brittany,
Here's a good place to look for nutritional info like calories for brown rice. This is a list of types of brown rice: http://www.nutritiondata.com/foods-b...000000000.html You can see there's a difference between the raw form and cooked.

I would guess yours is long grain? http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/c...d-pasta/5707/2

It says 216 cal/cup so about 108 per 1/2 cup.

Hope that helps,
Patty
Old 11-03-2009, 12:38 PM

Hi Brittany!

I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in here and say if you change any of Greyson's food - you run the risk of having to re-regulate him. I'm sure you already know this but wanted to relay what happened to me.....

Pip can't tolerate rice as it messes with his BG's, but there are other dogs that it doesn't bother.

I changed Pip from dog food to home cooking last year and it took me quite a number of months to get him re-regulated. I have to weigh each individual ingredient in Pip's meals both AM and PM to make sure the insulin and food match is exact.

I was really shocked at how much a simple cookie could throw him off!

Good luck today with Greyson - Please post the results as soon as you can! Wishing you and that cute baby of yours the best....

Pam
Old 11-03-2009, 01:09 PM

I have a question for folks--I have a glucometer but I don't know how to use it!!! At the vet, when I bought it, we tried her ear, but didn't get a blood drop. I read somewhere the inner lip is good because there are few nerve endings there...has anyone tried testing here?
Old 11-03-2009, 02:54 PM

hi pam :-)
thanks for the heads up. so far i haven't gotten him regulated ever so i'm still kind of trying different things. would you mind sharing the recipe you use?

i will find out tomorrow the results on his cushings and thyroid test. i'm hoping if it is one of the two it is thyroid. but whatever it is, i'll do my best with.
thanks for the well wishes

brittany
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgcor View Post
Hi Brittany!

I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in here and say if you change any of Greyson's food - you run the risk of having to re-regulate him. I'm sure you already know this but wanted to relay what happened to me.....

Pip can't tolerate rice as it messes with his BG's, but there are other dogs that it doesn't bother.

I changed Pip from dog food to home cooking last year and it took me quite a number of months to get him re-regulated. I have to weigh each individual ingredient in Pip's meals both AM and PM to make sure the insulin and food match is exact.

I was really shocked at how much a simple cookie could throw him off!

Good luck today with Greyson - Please post the results as soon as you can! Wishing you and that cute baby of yours the best....

Pam
Old 11-03-2009, 06:31 PM

Hi Brittany:

Darn I lost my post!!! I hope I don't duplicate this....Anyway, I wanted to tell you that I bought a book on Amazon called "Dogs, Diet & Disease" by Carolin Levin. It's been a godsend with the food issue and other things I've needed to know. It's good reference.

Anyway the diet I feed Pip is as follows...just so you know the book I mentioned mentions that to begin a home cooked diet you would base the amount of 2 to 3% of your dog's body weight. Pip weighs around 23 lbs., and as you'll see he gets way way more than that because he's a hyper lunatic. All dogs are different!

Diet consists of:

10 oz. chicken breast cooked
6 1/2 oz. green beans pulped in food processor
6 1/2 oz. zucchini pulped in food processor
3 oz. pure pumpkin (not the pie filling)

He gets this twice per day. I measure each individual ingredient and put one mean in a deli container. I leave out 3 days worth (6 containers) in the refrigerator and freeze the balance. I take more out as I go along.

I add calcium, powdered vitamins and herbs, samE, probiotics and milk thistle to this combination when I fix his meals. I mix up and serve! Pip is a pig and will eat anything, but our other dog Newman loves it too.

Just so you know, it's time consuming and for me more expensive than kibble, but I feel it's better for him in the long run, especially with chronic pancreatitis.

I'm hoping that Greyson's results will be NONE OF THE ABOVE tomorrow. But even if it isn't, you've been so good with him and have done so well. Brittany, please feel free to send me a private message if need be and I'd be happy to give you my phone number too!

Good luck!

Pam
Old 11-04-2009, 09:59 AM

Pam,
Thank you SO much for the info and kind words. I honestly teared up when I read it. It really touched me. It was exactly the encouragement that I needed because I was beginning to doubt my ability to take care of him. I'm calling soon to see if the vet has the test results back. I'll post when I hear something. I'm praying that it isn't cushings but if it is, I'll get out my tears like I did with the diabetes diagnosis and move forward. I'm going to go look for that book, btw. It sounds like something I could use.

Thank you again

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgcor View Post
Hi Brittany:

Darn I lost my post!!! I hope I don't duplicate this....Anyway, I wanted to tell you that I bought a book on Amazon called "Dogs, Diet & Disease" by Carolin Levin. It's been a godsend with the food issue and other things I've needed to know. It's good reference.

Anyway the diet I feed Pip is as follows...just so you know the book I mentioned mentions that to begin a home cooked diet you would base the amount of 2 to 3% of your dog's body weight. Pip weighs around 23 lbs., and as you'll see he gets way way more than that because he's a hyper lunatic. All dogs are different!

Diet consists of:

10 oz. chicken breast cooked
6 1/2 oz. green beans pulped in food processor
6 1/2 oz. zucchini pulped in food processor
3 oz. pure pumpkin (not the pie filling)

He gets this twice per day. I measure each individual ingredient and put one mean in a deli container. I leave out 3 days worth (6 containers) in the refrigerator and freeze the balance. I take more out as I go along.

I add calcium, powdered vitamins and herbs, samE, probiotics and milk thistle to this combination when I fix his meals. I mix up and serve! Pip is a pig and will eat anything, but our other dog Newman loves it too.

Just so you know, it's time consuming and for me more expensive than kibble, but I feel it's better for him in the long run, especially with chronic pancreatitis.

I'm hoping that Greyson's results will be NONE OF THE ABOVE tomorrow. But even if it isn't, you've been so good with him and have done so well. Brittany, please feel free to send me a private message if need be and I'd be happy to give you my phone number too!

Good luck!

Pam
Old 11-04-2009, 11:31 AM

Brittany - no one was more terrified than I was and still am at times! I think that's okay. I know exactly how you feel, it's a scary thing having to deal with a chronic illness you were previously unaware of! But look at you - you keep plugging away. You ARE doing well - it's not just kind words!

Pam
Old 11-04-2009, 03:13 PM

okay, here goes. i have cried to the point that i don't think i have any tears left.

i was thinking worst case scenario would be cushings. i was hoping out of the two it would be his thyroid. i got the results back today and almost dropped down to my knees when i was told he has both.

everything is sort of still a blur but from what i understand, his testing results showed "borderline" (i think that was the word used). she explained he has it but we caught it in the earliest stages. i had to call around to find a pharmacy that had lysodren in stock. for now, he will take 1/8th of a 500 mg pill once a week.

for his thyroid issue, since he doesn't do well swallowing pills, instead of giving him 1/2 a pill twice a day, he will just get get the whole thing once a day.

my mind is swimming right now. on the pharmacy printout, it says lysodren is to treat adrenal cortical cancer. does that mean he has cancer or is it just what it is used for in humans? i broke down again when i read that.

if anyone has any experience with lysodren please let me know. the printout is so specific about storage : "store at 77 degrees away from heat, moisture, and light" naturally i thought our bathroom would be a good place b/c it's generally warm but it also then states not to store it in the bathroom.

any ideas?

the pharmacist said it will probably cause dizziness/drowsiness which i know she means in people but i'm wondering if it is the same in dogs?

I can't read what the thyroid drug is. It just says "ty" so I don't know how to look up info on that. That was something I picked up at the vet.

Sorry for the overload of questions. I hope you don't mind me posting here. You all have become like family. I know there is a separate cushings forum that natalie told me about and I will go there also but for now, I wanted to come here and get all this off of my chest. I can't lose him. When I lost his uncle tragically, it was Greyson that brought me through it. Am I over reacting? I can't bear the thought of having to put him to sleep. I feel like they would have to do me as well.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:42 PM
Interim CC

Hi,

I haven't posted on your thread before - but I have been following along.

Regarding the Cushing's diagnosis: would you be able to tell us what test he had and post the results (the actual numbers)?

I will say straight off I think it's most unlikely that Greyson really does have Cushing's. It is totally to be expected that a poorly-regulated diabetic dog will come up positive on a Cushing's test as a result of physiological stress. It seems that Greyson has come up "borderline" positive - many diabetics could actually come up quite strongly positive, depending on the test. The low thyroid may also be a result of the diabetes. Would you be able to post all the numbers for that test too?

Treating a non-Cushing's dog with cortisol-lowering medications can be very dangerous HOWEVER the dose of Lysodren that Greyson has been prescribed (125mg per week (25mg/kg if he weighs 11lbs which is 5kg)) is most unlikely to do anything at all. If he did have Cushing's that dose would almost certainly be totally ineffective and so is most unlikely to do him any harm at all.

Most dogs don't experience dizziness or drowsiness with Lysodren treatment although if they are on a very high dose this can happen. I think the pharmacist was talking about humans - in humans very much higher doses than are usually used on dogs are used as they are using it to control adrenal cancer. With dogs the side effects are usually only a result of the cortisol being lowered too far although some dogs can have minor GI upset (easily managed with Pepcid or something similar.

Another thing that makes Cushing's unlikely is Greyson's age. While it is possible for a 3yo dog to develop Cushing's it is very, very unlikely. By and large it is a disease of middle-aged and elderly dogs.

For Cushing's to be considered in a diabetic you need to be seeing sustained insulin resistance at maximum doses of insulin for the dog's size. I don't know if you are at that point with Greyson (I don't know enough about diabetes and insulin) but if you are not (and if you are getting hypos at any point) then Cushing's is quite unlikely. There are many reasons for having trouble regulating a diabetic aside from Cushing's.

It is not uncommon, unfortunately, for diabetic dogs to be wrongly diagnosed with Cushing's because the signs and symptoms of both diseases overlap and because the diabetes itself can cause false positives on the tests that are used to diagnose Cushing's.

Alison

Last edited by AlisonandMia; 11-04-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:09 PM

Hi Brittany,
Just wanted to echo what Alison mentioned. Mik was originally dx'd with cushing's but with further diagnosis it turned out to be diabetes causing the cushing's symptoms.

Mik: 13 yo Shih-Tzu (robertpri)

http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=657

John (Roxee's Dad)