Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Mik: 13 yr old Shih-Tzu

Hi Robert,

I'm glad the ear trouble is gone, sounds like Mik is doing better, back to the eating when he wants routine and wants to be the boss

Take care,
Dolly
Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday
Old 01-05-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyelostit View Post
Hi Robert,

Mik is doing better...and wants to be the boss

Take care,
Dolly
Yep. Tonight, he decided to not eat.

Grrrrrrrgh
Old 01-06-2010, 07:40 AM

Hi Robert,

Quote:
Yep. Tonight, he decided to not eat.

Grrrrrrrgh
Sorry it appears that I jinxed it. Just a bit concerned when I don't hear from you.

John (Roxee's Dad)
Old 01-06-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxee'sDad View Post
Hi Robert,

Sorry it appears that I jinxed it. Just a bit concerned when I don't hear from you.

John (Roxee's Dad)
Thanks for the concern.
Heh, I try to joke about it [to keep from going berserk] but it really does cause major problems. Problems for him, the poor little guy feels terrible, and for me, because I get so stressed and frustrated.

He will eat wonderfully for a period of time, a week, two, then suddenly stop. In those moods, Mik consume maybe 1/4 the food compared to his hungry time.

So, do I reduce his Vetsulin 75%? Seems way too severe a reduction, but I fear hypo if I don't.

I sort of guess. One morning I cut his dose 50% after he refused to eat anything. An hour later, I could detect his hungry bark, and then he ate a full bowl. So, he was badly "under-dosed". The next day, he did not go into a secondary hungry mode, so he was "over-dosed".

It takes days to get him somewhat balanced again

Grrrrrrrrrgh
Old 01-10-2010, 06:24 PM

In the afternoon and evening meals, Mik appears active and hungry. He eats well, but in the morning, it has become almost impossible to get him to eat. I force a couple of mouthfuls, but he runs off.

Urine strip tests show his BG's are still high, so I'm keeping him at 3 IU even on an empty stomach. This seems waaaaay too much to me, but the test stripes still indicate high BG's.

I know they are not fully accurate, but when they go almost full color, it still means very high.

Grrrrrrrrgh
Old 01-10-2010, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Does he stay high all the time on 3 units or do urine tests in the middle of the day drop to less glucose? This would be important to know to make sure he isn't being overdosed and going into rebound... which could be hard to catch with urine testing.

Could try giving 2 units when he doesn't eat and see if he actually does better. That would help make sure he isn't rebounding.

It is hard when they are old. When Chris, who was never a picky eater, turned up his nose at Hamburger Helper, we knew he just really didn't want to eat.

Natalie
Old 01-10-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9diabetes View Post
Does he stay high all the time on 3 units or do urine tests in the middle of the day drop to less glucose? This would be important to know to make sure he isn't being overdosed and going into rebound... which could be hard to catch with urine testing.

Natalie
Well, about the time I post something here, then something changes! His urine has been testing into the dark brown [1000-2000 mg/dl] with daily drops into the dark green [250-500]

I know from experience these readings are "false" high, but comparing with vet blood tests in the past, I have a kind of feel for it now.

So, this am, he was well into the high numbers, so I gave him 3 IU on 100 calories. He managed about 300 calories for dinner, so I gave him another 3 IU. This ratio has worked fine in the past.

About an hour after the meal, I managed a fresh urine test, and it was light green, borderline negative. Lowest I have seen in a long time.

So, I quickly gave him 120 calories of chicken and rice baby food that has about 5 g of sugar and 15 g of carbs. He is resting fine, but I am watching him closely, armed with maple syrup if needed.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:32 PM

Topsy-turvy numbers? Rebound?

After giving Mik the baby food, his numbers were good that evening and the next day. But I decided to play it safe and give him about 3/4 of his usual Vetsulin for the morning meal.

10 hours later, his urine test shows bright green--into the negative zone. So, I reduced it even more for his PM meal.

Scheesh, just about the time I had it figured out...
Old 01-13-2010, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Is he still on a breakfast hunger strike or is he eating again?

I think rebound on 3 units and no or not enough food is definitely possible. A compromise of 1.5 or 2.0 units might work better when he refuses to eat.

Unfortunately, it seems there's not much to be done but keep monitoring him and wing it based on what you know.

Natalie
Old 01-13-2010, 10:30 AM

Yes, it's like playing ping pong with him. Never know.

Last night he ate like a starving survivor, so this am, his urine test is far into the high BG numbers. So, I felt okay with 3 IU because he did eat only about 125 calories, but his AM numbers began way too high.

If his numbers drop, I will adjust to 1.5 - 2, depending on how much he eats.

I have found that the pamphlet calculations of "X" Vetsulin for "Y" body wt means very little with Mik. It depends more on how much he eats.