Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:27 AM

Default Re: Mik is gone...

Well, it's been 48 hours since Mik left us. I want to again thank everyone on this wonderful forum. I would have lost Mik long ago had it not been for all your incredible support and sage advice.

And my sanity would have been long gone.

I am blessed to have found this forum. [actually, Natalie directed me here, and I am forever grateful]

Mak spent the first day searching the house with what little remains of sight in one eye. Not finding his brother, Mak is now searching the house by smell, sniffing for Mik in every corner, blankets and bedding, under tables, and behind furniture. It's sad to watch.

Of course, I talk to Mak endlessly, and pet him constantly. He follows me when ever I leave the room. He sleeps at my feet or beside my bed. It's both endearing and sad.

He is eating and drinking, but his body functions are out of whack. I know when and where he normally does his business, and that has most definitely changed.

I expect [and pray] Mak to adjust, but it does not always bode well for the second dog in these circumstances. But I will carefully tend to him.

Again, thanks to all, and for your wonderful sentiments.

bob
Old 04-06-2010, 11:46 AM

Hello Bob,

I will be praying that Mak makes the adjustment and you and he can spend a long, long time together still.

It is so sweet and touching that he wants to be near you so much. It is clear you bring him much needed comfort.

Please let us know how you all are getting along. We all care and hope you will post often.

Hugs,
Heidi and Chloe
Old 04-06-2010, 12:33 PM

Oh Robert,
I am so very sorry for your loss of Mik. I'm a little late checking in but know I have been following Mik's story since you first joined the cushings forum.

You have been so wonderful and patient with the boys. I know he is watching over you and keeping company with your wife.

Rest in peace sweet Mik.

John (Roxee's Dad)
Old 04-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Founding Member

Hi Robert,
Just wondering how it's going for you and Mak....
Old 04-10-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydog View Post
Hi Robert,
Just wondering how it's going for you and Mak....
Thanks for asking. Mak has stopped searching for Mik, but he has become my shadow. In the past, we could leave the room and they had each other. Now alone, Mak follows me everywhere. I pet him a lot.

He is eating and drinking and taking his meds, so that is good.

more
The really odd thing: Mik and Mak each had a day bed in the living room, and night bed in my bedroom, and a couple of low pillows on the living room rug. Invariably, they would be in one of those three places.

Since Mik is gone, Mak has not once ventured to any of those places. He has established a new day 'location' and a new 'night spot'.

Very odd.

bob

Last edited by robertpri; 04-10-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:56 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Robert

I've never heard of a dog in mourning not wanting to sleep in its usual locations, but here is an article that does mention it as part of grieving. I hope all is well with you and little Mak.

peggy

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/do-dogs-mourn/page1.aspx
Old 04-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Awe, it's heartbreaking to watch them mourn. That is interesting Mak's sought out new places to sleep, Bob. Thinking of you both.

A good article Peggy.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggy0 View Post
Robert

I've never heard of a dog in mourning not wanting to sleep in its usual locations, but here is an article that does mention it as part of grieving. I hope all is well with you and little Mak.

peggy

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/do-dogs-mourn/page1.aspx
Thanks for the link: "Study respondents indicated that surviving dogs changed the quantity and location of sleep. More than half the surviving pets became more affectionate and clingy with their caregivers."

Yep. That's Mak.

He suffered constipation for a few days but I noticed it and added 1 tspn of olive oil. That worked.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:04 PM

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I too lost one of my furry friends this week and my 2 year old lab has been so out of it, all she wants to do is sleep. She didn't eat at all for the first two days but is now eating 1x daily. It made me so sad to see how she was hurting as well as myself. Again I am sorry for your loss and hope that Mak bounces back quickly.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:00 PM

Hello

sorry I don't think we have 'met' but just wanted to say sorry to read your beloved little fellow.

I hope Mak is OK too, my dog Charlie died a while ago and him and Zeno were like twins (we got Charlie at 6 wks then Zeno also 1 year later so Zeno had never been without Charlie).

Zeno looked so sad after Charlie was gone and I was worried in case he would continue fretting so I got him a little friend within weeks and it really helped him I thought, that was 3 years ago now so I hope Mak picks up to soon.

Hugs to you at this time, I know it is heartbreaking.

Sharon x