Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything that's not related to diabetes in dogs!

Old 01-16-2011, 10:30 AM

Default Re: A New Canine Companion!

Very very cute Mary - congratulations!
Old 01-16-2011, 05:55 PM

A great big thanks to everyone for your comments and well-wishes.

We have the eye appointment this week, and that's a big concern. If there is something they can do to help her vision, YSDR will fund the surgery. They will choose the eye which is most likely to benefit. We will have to wait for donations unless the cost is minimal. Since we don't know what has caused the problem, it is difficult to know what might happen.

One behavioral concern that we have discovered: she is not completely housebroken. A friend who is a dog trainer says she thinks it is not anxiety related since she will pee outside most of the time and has held it for up to ten hours overnight. She is not trained to a pee pad. Poop--she has always gone outside so far.

The trainer also told us she suspects Izzy knows more commands, and will work with her for an hour to find out what she already knows. We found with Ruffles that once we got basic commands under control, unwanted behaviors stopped without direct confrontation. I'm hoping that will happen with Izzy, too. We can afford one hour's consultation, so we're hoping to find out how to become the "top dog" (alpha) in her world.

Mary
Old 01-16-2011, 06:46 PM

Arrow Re: A New Canine Companion!

Hey, MaryLea,

About the failures in house-training, I had that with Camellia. It took me till a couple of weeks ago to get that worked out with her. I put on NO pressures. Just cleaned up when she had an accident, and made sure to take her out every few hours, and rewarded every success outside. It helps to take the dog to the same place each time.

That's about four MONTHS it took me to get the job done, and it meant watching Camellia carefully at times she was likely to need to go. She's so thrifty that I was taking her out a lot more than she needed.

Now, about top-dog, or alpha, that is a myth that's been blown to bits, as the paradigm of alpha-ness, or dominance, has been widely debunked by knowledgeable trainers.

If you go to my links page:

http://www.coherentdog.org/links.php

the first book on the list:

The 100 Silliest Things People Say About Dogs

will be very helpful to you. There's some stuff in there one must take with a grain of salt.

But Semyonova does a great job of explaining how things really work.

For a less detailed approach, more general, but extremely useful, study the works of Turid Rugaas, also listed on that links page. Rugaas is all over my site, for good reason!

It can be truly astounding, how stresses of change put a dog off-kilter, and I'd estimate the changes Izzy has experienced are at least partly responsible for her failures in house-training.

Keeping her stress-levels as low as you can will also help with her adaptation and successes in accomplishing useful change.

http://www.coherentdog.org/vek/stressdown.php

(lists the works of Turid Rugaas).

Oh, do have fun with Izzy!

Love, hugs, licks and wags,
Sun, 16 Jan 2011 17:45:20 (PST)
Old 01-16-2011, 08:06 PM

I think my daughter being home had alot to do with it, too. One more change (stress) for Izzy to handle.

Good news is: they love each other! so we'll keep working on it one way or another. We had Ruffles trained professionally, then we were taught to use the same commands and signals. Worked very well. Unfortunately, this time we cannot afford that route.

I used that term (top-dog, or alpha), but the trainer did not. She (the trainer) is very experienced and feels Izzy knows alot we haven't discovered yet, but thinks she can figure it out fairly quickly.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll check out your links. I can tell I need to do alot of reading!

Mary
Old 01-17-2011, 01:05 AM
Administrator

What a beautiful little face! Congratulations!!

Does Izzy know how to ask you to let her out to go?

That was the problem with Jack. He'd been kept in a kitchen 12 hours a day with his previous family and had to go to the bathroom there so he never learned to "ask" to go out. His signals weren't obvious. So we took him out periodically and rewarded him and eventually he kind of learned to ask and we got better at reading his requests and also knowing his routine.

I still "keep track" of when he last pooped so I have a pretty good idea of when he will need to go again.

You can teach them to touch their nose to a bell hanging from the door to the yard as a request to go out.

And of course praise the heck out of a successful "delivery." Poop in the yard was a real party around here for a while!

Natalie
Old 01-17-2011, 01:31 PM
Founding Member

Congratulations!! She's just adorable....hope she's with you for a very long time!!
Old 01-17-2011, 08:45 PM

Thanks, Natalie. I'd not thought of the bell idea in a long time. We considered it for Ruffles, but never got around to doing it. She would go to the door and "muff" at us if we did not pay attention.

Izzy begins to pace and heads for a back door--but usually the wrong one. Part of that is just getting used to our routine; part is that we've had alot of rain here lately and she hates going out in the rain! Someone on the Yorkie chat suggested using an oversized umbrella (to "protect" her from the rain), which might help, too.

She's been adopted once and returned. They said their daughter was allergic to her, but we think it's something else. I suspect Izzy is too sedentary for children; and then there's the peeing issue. She's just right for me, though! She likes attention--petting especially; likes to cuddle up next to me on the couch or sit in my lap.

We've changed her food to hopefully help with the (suspected) foot/fur allergies. A friend who is a trainer told us we did not choose well, so we're probably going to return it and change brands again. Needs to be non-grain, I think. She also suggested allowing water only at certain times of the day so we will know when she might need to go outside.

I really like this dog, and would like to be her furever Mom! Determined to give it a good try.

Mary
Old 01-18-2011, 10:26 PM
Administrator

LOL... we had a lot of the same problems with Jack. His signals were subtle and he tended to wait to give any signal until he really really really had to go. He's still not very good about getting down to his business when it's raining!

Heaven forbid something distracts him. Then he won't go until it just about busts out of him on its own.

He will pace and sometimes just comes over and looks at me and kind of "vibrates" with his attitude. That's when I know he's got a need!

You will get it figured out. The fact that she's trying to go outside sounds like a good sign to me that she wants to do it right and just needs to figure out how to tell you and know that it's not only okay but encouraged to ask to be let out.

They can be really sensitive souls, especially if they were ever yelled at for going at the wrong place or for not going in the right one. So we find that an "It's all good" attitude goes a long way to alleviating anxiety.

Jack's been on a med for two days that made him need to urinate hourly... The first time last night he didn't wake up soon enough to hold it and had a rather artistic series of accidents as he tried to tell us just how bad he needed to go! We don't call him Jackson Pawlick for nothin'! And I could tell he was worried that he was in trouble. He wasn't and we let him know all was oky but I think he still was upset about going in the house.

Natalie
Old 01-20-2011, 12:40 PM

Izzy is at least ten years old (about what I "guess-timated"). She has small cataracts in both eyes, but also retinal degeneration. (I looked that up and got references on macular degeneration.) It is a race to see which one takes her sight. She is not a candidate for further treatment or surgery.

We will take her to the YSDR vet next week for a checkup. She has had all her shots, is microchipped and spayed. I would like to have a blood panel done to find out if her organs are OK--and is she diabetic? Just a precaution after our experience with Ruffles. If there are no major medical issues other than her eyes, we will adopt her. (Actually, I think I could deal with diabetes if we have to.)

I think she's basically "unadoptable" now that we know about her eyes; just personal opinion. She can see if the light is bright. She's pretty well found her way around the house and back yard. We asked a friend to come over next week to see if he can install some small floodlights on the corners of the garage so she can see at night. That would be helpful since I'm taking her out on a leash which is, to say the least, time consuming.

She is a very sweet dog; likes to be near a human or in a lap. Doesn't mind wearing a sweater, which is nice in the cold weather--she just doesn't like the rain and wet grass. (Come to think of it, neither do I!) She does not beg for food; just wants to follow someone around or sit with them. She sleeps through the night in a doggie bed beside my bed. She "took" to the beds we had for Ruffles without incident.

I've said many times I can't imagine why someone would lose her and not look until they found her. She was found in the middle of a freeway last April.

Thanks for your interest and concern!

Mary

Last edited by MaryLea; 01-20-2011 at 02:58 PM. Reason: correct spelling--which changed the meaning
Old 01-20-2011, 06:41 PM

You're right MaryLea, it is hearbreaking to know that such a cute and obviously nice little animal would be abandoned and that his/her owner would not be turning every stones to find that little baby. She is so darn cute.

We also installed some floodlights which illuminates the portion of the yard that we fenced in and we find Buddy navigates around with more assurance and it is also good for us as we can clearly see them in the yard. Living in the country, we have all kinds of prey animals and lately, we can clearly hear the coyottes.

Are you, or have you completely fallen in love yet?

Louise