Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:54 PM

Default Message from Kyla's Mom, and does anyone need U40 syringes?

Hi, Kyla's Mom here. It's been three lonely weeks since I lost my sweet Kyla, and I've been plagued with self-doubts and what if's; the biggest being, what if I had found this forum sooner (having only found it during the last few days of her life). Reflecting back on her 2+ years of being diabetic, I think I adhered too strictly to vet's guidelines and ignored my own intuition at times, mainly due to fear of going against vet's expert advice and possibly hurting Kyla, and ignorance of truly being able to understand and comprehend diabetes, which was only compounded by all the conflicting information I was getting on the internet in endless searches.

I've been reading old posts here, this could have been such a valuable source of trustworthy advice, and I might not have felt so "alone" during all the scary times. But I'm glad I did find you guys in the last few days, because it was such a blessing to be able to share feelings with people who understood; and the advice, concern, and good wishes were such a comfort to me, so I want to thank you.

ANYWAY, I've given most of Kyla's supplies to other dogs in need of them, but I still have U40 syringes. If anyone can use these, please send me a private message with your address, (don't want you to post your address publicly), and I will gladly send them out to you. I'm sure Kyla would want to help some other diabetic pet.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:19 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Message from Kyla's Mom, and does anyone need U40 syringes?

It's nice to hear from you... I'm putting a couple of links here to Kyla's threads.

On the diabetes forum: http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1953

Kyla's Story: http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1962

How is Lexie doing?

Natalie
Old 07-25-2010, 06:51 AM
Founding Member

Hi Kyla's Mom,

I just read your thread and Kyla's story. I am so so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful little girl she was.

Quote:
It's been three lonely weeks since I lost my sweet Kyla, and I've been plagued with self-doubts and what if's;
What your feeling is normal - I felt the same way - and still do sometimes now - after we lost our little Lady last year. Kyla was so lucky to have such a loving family. You did everything humanly possibe for her. She knew how much you loved her. My deepest sympathy. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Lynne and Angel Lady 7/98-3/09 Forever in my heart
Old 07-25-2010, 07:54 AM

Hi Natalie,
Lexi is doing fine, better than we are. However, she's much more subdued than she used to be, has been sleeping in the same spots on bed, couch, etc that Kyla slept. Every once in awhile my husband will call "Pookie" (which was his special name for Kyla), Lexi's ears will perk up, and she'll look at us questioningly, and then get a sad look on her face. She went to the groomer yesterday for the first time without Kyla, and I think that's when she realized Kyla wasn't coming back and that she was on her own, because the groomer said after she was finished, instead of playing with the other dogs as usual, she went and just laid in the kennel that Kyla used to go to. But we're giving her lots of attention, and she is helping us (although she still doesn't like to cuddle as much as Kyla did -- a few minutes, and she's back to being "Miss Independent"!)
Old 07-25-2010, 08:31 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

So heartbreaking to watch them grieve as well. Thinking of you all.
Patty
Old 07-25-2010, 09:52 AM

Hi Kyla's Mom,
I am new to the forum and just received news last Monday that my Chase has diabetes. I read Kyla's story, what an amazing little girl! I hope I can be as brave and loving as you as I journey with Chase in treating the diabetes.

I am so very sorry Kyla passed. She and Misty must have had quite a reunion three weeks ago! I lost a son seven years ago and take some comfort that when Chase decides to cross over the bridge, my son will be there and they will be together again.

God bless and saying prayers for you and Lexi.

14 years old, 33lbs; diagnosed July 19, 2010; Home Cooked Food - 2x a day; 7 Units Humulin 2x a day
Old 07-26-2010, 05:34 AM

Hi again -- don't know if I should post this somewhere else as a new thread or here, but I still have those U40 sryinges that I would like to give someone who needs them. I left my name locally at my groomer, vet, pet adoption, etc, and I got calls on all my other supplies, but not the U40's; nor have I gotten any responses to my post here. I don't know, are they only used for Vetsulin, and that's why there's no need for them any longer? I'd hate to discard them and then find out some pet needed them. If anyone has any suggestions on who else I can contact that might have use for them, please let me know. Thanks, Kyla's Mom
Old 07-26-2010, 06:51 AM

We'll keep our ears open for you. It may be harder to find a home for the U40s because they are for use with Vetsulin/Caninsulin.

Patty
Old 07-26-2010, 10:23 AM

sophie still uses vetsulin fyi
Old 08-06-2010, 09:00 PM

I am sorry to hear about your loss. My dog Zeke has been on Vetsulin since July 2007. Because of his age (13 1/2) neither his vet nor I have wanted to switch him off of Vetsulin because, despite a few ups and downs in his blood sugar, he has done quite well on it.

I ordered some Caninsulin from an online Canadian pharmacy and our vet has enrolled us in the Vetsulin Critical Need program so we will be able to get Vetsulin from the manufacturer.

I can definitely use the U-40s if you have not found a home for them already. Or it sounds like others on this thread may have some U-40s also. Please send me a private message. Or my e-mail is my user name here @aol.com.