Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:24 PM

Default Re: newbie needs some input

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9diabetes View Post
Even if his blood sugar is a lot higher tonight at 11pm, don't give more insulin until his usual breakfast time.

In the morning, I wouldn't give him any insulin unless his blood sugar is 200 or more and then I would give at most 1 unit, maybe only half a unit if it's in the low 200s.

Natalie
If I understand, no insulin tonight. The other instructions were for in the morning.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:52 PM

he was not doing well.
he was weak in the hind legs, and having trouble with his balance and walking, and he was glazed over and confused.
something was very off.
we tried more sub-Q fluids to no avail, so we gave him 1 unit.
BG back down to 134.
I'm at a loss.
I'm sorry that I couldn't wait it out, but it was obvious that he was in crisis, and it was getting worse. I didn't know what else to do.
I'm starting to wonder if there might be something else going on.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:25 AM

keytones negative.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:49 AM
Administrator

That's a pretty big increase in blood sugar in 2 hours - it's possible that he actually had low blood sugar this afternoon and you are seeing a rebound reaction to an earlier low.

http://www.caninediabetes.org/pdorg/somogyi.htm

It's also an awfully sharp drop in a couple of hours after insulin - setting off the potential for more low blood sugar and rebound tonight.

His distress could have been a result of the higher blood sugar but it would be a very unusual response and I wonder too if there isn't something else that was behind his seeming confused...

Has he ever had a seizure prior to his diabetes diagnosis?

There have been a few dogs over the years who responded to high blood sugar with seizures and I think if a dog has an underlying seizure disorder that maybe hasn't surfaced yet, only moderately high blood sugar like he had tonight could accelerate the process and bring on an actual seizure.

Seizures in dogs aren't always the typical jerking and loss of awareness that we tend to think of. They can have seizures where they just kind of check out.

I think you're going to see low blood sugar again tonight and I truly don't think it's safe to give him that much insulin.

If you feel you have to give some, please reduce the dose to 1/2 unit.

He has repeatedly gone low on 1 unit so it's just too much for him, further demonstrated by his blood sugar dropping 200 points in a couple of hours. There's likely a lot more kick from the insulin to come later tonight.

I'm sure this goes without saying but you will be contacting the vet first thing Monday, right?

And please set an alarm tonight and check his blood sugar periodically as I think another low is a very good possibility.

Natalie
Old 11-21-2010, 01:06 AM

Of course it's possible it was a rebound, I suppose. I had to work today, and my brother couldn't get a reading.

Alarm set for 2:00am, and I'll be watching him close.

He has no history of seizures, and I have a lot of experience with seizures in dogs, from mild to grand mal.

He'll make it to a vet on Monday, but it might just be a new one. I love my vet, but I'm thinking I need another opinion.

Last edited by SeattleCraig; 11-21-2010 at 03:43 AM.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:42 AM

2:30 am - BG 204 (1st test was 292--I took it twice)
took him out to pee--he's still unsteady on his feet, but very alert.
had to carry him up and down the stairs.

Last edited by SeattleCraig; 11-21-2010 at 07:18 AM.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:05 AM

6:00am - BG 543. (1st test was 583--I took it twice)
I'm beside myself.
Do I wait 'til his normal time to feed and dose? (still 3 hours away).
how much?

Last edited by SeattleCraig; 11-21-2010 at 07:18 AM.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:59 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

That's a hard one. It's possible his bg is so high due to rebound at some point. Looks like he had a drop of at least 100 points early last night in a short period of time. If that's the case it can take a day or 2 to rid the body of the hormones that were set off.

Injecting early can add to the problem if it's too much insulin that was the cause. I wouldn't go more than an hour early. And then it looks like Natalie was suggesting 3/4 unit.

You want to find an insulin dose that doesn't bring him down so fast. When there's a drop of more than 100 points in an hour or when bg gets too low the body sets off a chain reaction to try to "save itself." The liver releases stored glucose into the blood stream and other hormones are triggered that drive the bg up.

Hopefully Natalie will be around soon and give you her advice. I know it's hard when they are so very high. Keep testing for ketones.

Patty
Old 11-21-2010, 08:32 AM

Thanks, Patty.

I just talked to a vet--a friend of a friend who does a call-in radio program on the east coast.

She set my mind at ease a bit.

She said she was not surprised by the numbers, that it's pretty much what she would expect in week 1 for a small pup who presented with the multiple issues that Bob has, and that the good news is that the insulin is working.

She said to stay on schedule, as close as possible. She wouldn't have started him at 3, either--more likely two--and adjusted from there.

She wasn't overly concerned that he's not eating on his own at this stage.

She confirmed what Natalie was saying about the rebound effect. I'm so grateful for the advice and those links, Natalie. I sounded much more intelligent than I am, thanks to you.

So...I'll do another test in about an hour, and report back.

No more shotgun reactions, I promise!
Old 11-21-2010, 09:19 AM

8:15am - BG 527

Based on Natalie's advice from last night, I will feed him and give him a 3/4 unit.