Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:45 PM

Default Concerned about Moe- Won't eat....

Hi,
I am new to the forum and to diabetes in general. I have a pair of diabetic dogs (Mother and son) that I have been trying to get under control. They have both just started Vetsulin after failing with human insulin.

My immediate concern is "Moe". Thursday I fed him as usual and gave him his daily insulin shot. About a half an hour later he threw up. I waited an hour and gave him some more food which he threw up.

I have six dogs total and four or the others have been having intestinal issues lasting a day or two. I suspect Moe caught it.

During the night I noticed he was showing low blood sugar symptoms so I gave him some cayro syrup. I brought him into the vet Friday morning and left him there. He had sugar readings of 200 and the vet suggested I withhold insulin/food until today (Saturday) and start him eating first and then when he shows he can hold the food and then resume the insulin.

I am worried about him. He still won't eat anything although he is drinking. He is just laying in the kitchen. I am new to diabetes but I went out and bought an insulin meter today. He was around 300 so I know he isn't suffering from low sugar.

1) How often should I check his sugar levels?

2) I assume the longer he doesn't eat the lower his blood sugar levels will get?

3) Is it just a waiting game until he starts eating again? I know he still isn't feeling well because he had diarehaa today.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Concerned about Moe- Won't eat....

Actually, I would expect a rise in blood sugar because while the body is looking for food internally, it still has no way of processing the sugar produced. In general, we give 1/4 dose if a dog doesn't eat because he will need his basal dose. But, I would consult with your vet first.

Any chance you could get some bland food into him? Rice, for instance? or potatoes? If you do, you should expect a bg jump, but it might help his system recover. Yes, it will be a little bit of a waiting game, but by tomorrow morning, I would want to be giving insulin again. So, I would get ready to try to get a little food into him, and test, and consider that 1/4 dose.

Glad you got a meter. They are so helpful.
Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Sorry to hear you have a whole crew with digestive upset - did they just start a new batch or bag of food?

You can generally give a small amount of insulin to a dog who won't eat, and I actually like to fast a dog with an upset stomach whenever possible. It seems to help the system settle down.

About half (give or take) of the insulin need is for "basal" blood sugar, the blood sugar that's present when no food is being digested and converted to sugar.

So a dog who doesn't eat anything can typically handle about 1/4 of the usual with-food insulin dose. You can go a little lower than that if you are worried.

Some dogs can handle up to 1/2 the usual dose but it's always wise to start this at a low level and see what your particular dog can handle.

That way, you don't have escalating blood sugar adding to an already punked feeling dog and don't have to play catch-up to get the blood sugar down once he starts eating again.

Glad you got a meter and are instantly testing! Congrats!! One of the most useful things about the meter is being able to check for low blood sugar.

Hope they didn't get a bad batch of food or into something toxic...

Natalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Hi,
I am new to the forum and to diabetes in general. I have a pair of diabetic dogs (Mother and son) that I have been trying to get under control. They have both just started Vetsulin after failing with human insulin.

My immediate concern is "Moe". Thursday I fed him as usual and gave him his daily insulin shot. About a half an hour later he threw up. I waited an hour and gave him some more food which he threw up.

I have six dogs total and four or the others have been having intestinal issues lasting a day or two. I suspect Moe caught it.

During the night I noticed he was showing low blood sugar symptoms so I gave him some cayro syrup. I brought him into the vet Friday morning and left him there. He had sugar readings of 200 and the vet suggested I withhold insulin/food until today (Saturday) and start him eating first and then when he shows he can hold the food and then resume the insulin.

I am worried about him. He still won't eat anything although he is drinking. He is just laying in the kitchen. I am new to diabetes but I went out and bought an insulin meter today. He was around 300 so I know he isn't suffering from low sugar.

1) How often should I check his sugar levels?

2) I assume the longer he doesn't eat the lower his blood sugar levels will get?

3) Is it just a waiting game until he starts eating again? I know he still isn't feeling well because he had diarehaa today.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9diabetes View Post
Sorry to hear you have a whole crew with digestive upset - did they just start a new batch or bag of food?

You can generally give a small amount of insulin to a dog who won't eat, and I actually like to fast a dog with an upset stomach whenever possible. It seems to help the system settle down.

About half (give or take) of the insulin need is for "basal" blood sugar, the blood sugar that's present when no food is being digested and converted to sugar.

So a dog who doesn't eat anything can typically handle about 1/4 of the usual with-food insulin dose. You can go a little lower than that if you are worried.

Some dogs can handle up to 1/2 the usual dose but it's always wise to start this at a low level and see what your particular dog can handle.

That way, you don't have escalating blood sugar adding to an already punked feeling dog and don't have to play catch-up to get the blood sugar down once he starts eating again.

Glad you got a meter and are instantly testing! Congrats!! One of the most useful things about the meter is being able to check for low blood sugar.

Hope they didn't get a bad batch of food or into something toxic...

Natalie
The two diabetic dogs are on DCO food and the other guys are on regular dog food. Two of the non-diabetic dogs are fine (so far). I might swap out the food just to be sure though...
Old 05-30-2013, 04:34 PM

Just an update...

Moe FINALLY ate something Tuesday morning. I was seriously considering helping him leave that day because I knew he was suffering. The food he ate gave me hope he would start eating again so I delayed making the "death appointment".

Here it is Thursday and Moe is back to his old self. Eating great, running in the yard, alert and aware......

I want to thank k9diabetes for tips that SAVED MOE'S LIFE.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:03 PM
Founding Member

sounds like things are moving in a positive direction

i think my jesse was on the list for 6 months till she really turned the corner
Old 05-30-2013, 06:43 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

That's wonderful news!
Old 05-30-2013, 07:35 PM

And here I am just welcoming you when there is already such good news

I will have to catch upon your thread later, but wanted to join in and say YAY!

Tara