blood at injection site.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blood at injection site.

About one half hour after I gave my dog Scrappy his shot, I noticed the spot was bloody. I don't remember that ever happening before. Am worried about whether he got all the insulin since I obviously messed up. Has anyone had this happen before?

Re: blood at injection site.

It is possible to nick a capillary with the needle. That's not a problem.

There is a problem is if the insulin got injected into a vein. It would have a much much faster action if it did.

Since you don't know what exactly happened, you do not want to give any more insulin.

It would be wise to supervise him tonight though in case his blood sugar goes low because some got directly into the blood stream and have supplies to counteract low blood sugar if need be.

How much blood was there? Does the skin look a little red like it was scraped by the needle?

Natalie

Comment

Yes it does look like the skin was scraped. The amount of blood was maybe the size of a small pea. I keep karo syrup in the cupboard. Have never had to use it. He is a big dog - 135 pounds. Takes 22 units. His hair is black so it is hard to see. Thanks for your answer.

Comment

Praying Scrappy is doing well today!
        Mel
        Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

I had this happen a few times with Abby, and never did have a problem with how the insulin was absorbed. I did always tent, Hopefully you too had similar results.

Barb
          Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Scrappy is fine today. Thanks to every one who wrote.

Comment

Working...
            X