Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mik: 13 yr old Shih-Tzu

Yes, he tests me constantly.

He finally ate 250-300 calories for two days in the am, so I took him for BG test after 10 hours of his vetsulin. Not the best schedule for testing, but with my work, it's all I can do.

And, we now have 4 separate tests over two months the same way: 10 hrs from Vetsulin. It does make for a measurable pattern.

2 months ago [after 10 hours] BG 540
    increased dose
    1.5 months ago BG 640. ????? We could not figure that out.
    increased dose
    1 month ago BG: 485 getting better
    increased dose
    yesterday BG: 242.

Slowly slowly getting there. I am increasing his dose in tiny increments, and it seems to be working. He did lost a few ounces due to his refusal to eat in the AM.

I mentioned that Mik "moans" a lot, so vet looked him over. As he touched Mik's ears, the poor little guy cried.

Ear infection!

Is there no end?

Vet said his system is so weak he is prone to almost anything.

More meds. I think Mik actually hates the ear drops more than the shot!
    Mik: ~15 years, 1 IU Vetsulin per 100 calories of Purina EN canned food. BG's coming down, wt going up.

Comment

Hi,
      I'm sorry to hear about the ear infection....my Lady hated ear and eye drops worse than the insulin injection!!!
      Wishing you all the best with this new challenge for your little buddy,
      Jo-Ann & my Dollydog angel

Comment

What drops is he on?

Please note this post as there are some that are quite risky: http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260

We tried to avoid the ones with Gentamycin. We did have to use them once and Chris came through okay. But I felt pretty strongly that the last thing a blind dog needed was to go deaf.

Sometimes you can go with an oral antibiotic instead... could be tricky with Mik though.

Natalie

Comment

Originally posted by k9diabetes View Post
          What drops is he on?

Please note this post as there are some that are quite risky: http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260

Natalie
          It is called 'drops' even in the brochure, but it's actually an ointment: Mometamax.

Even the directions says "two drops" but it's an ointment. Looks like neosporin in appearance. The vet made a close exam of his ear drums that looked okay, and said to only use it 7 days. I read the docs and it said the same thing: avoid using over 7 days.

So, I guess it's potent. I read several of those links, but I need to find the brochure again to find the ingredients. But it's been five days now, so perhaps I will just stop it and see what happens.

He was moaning at night and whimpering, and that has stopped. He also rubbed his ears on the floor and shook his head a lot. That has mostly stopped.
          Mik: ~15 years, 1 IU Vetsulin per 100 calories of Purina EN canned food. BG's coming down, wt going up.

Comment

I'm glad it's ointment and not drops as Mometamax does have Gentamycin in it. I think a lot of the problem comes from the drops, which wind up way down inside the ear canal.

I am not convinced personally that an intact eardrum is enough to protect the dog from losing hearing, which is why we put such a strong warning out. Mainly because I've seen so many dogs lose their hearing and it seems unlikely to me that they all had ruptured ear drums.

Like I said, we did take the risk and were okay. But I only did that as a last resort and it made me nervous as hell.

Natalie

Comment

Originally posted by k9diabetes View Post
              Like I said, we did take the risk and were okay. But I only did that as a last resort and it made me nervous as hell.

Natalie
              Many thanks for the info. Found the docs, and yes, it has Gentamycin, but Mik was suffering so I used what the vet gave me. But I have stopped using it, just in case. If he appears to have a repeat, I will check your links and ask for other meds.

But so far, okay.

Sidebar: Mik seems to hear what he wants. You know how that is. When his appetite is good, he can hear my five hand claps and come to the kitchen. At other times, well, he is just being Mik and hears what he wants.

Comment

Robert,
                Was it a yeast infection of the ear? Do you know?

When we moved here last Dec Ali had a raging yeast infection in both ears. That first night she was up every 30 min. moaning and in obvious pain. She'd been bothered by her ears for quite a while but my vet back home kept telling me her ears looked clean, probably just allergies causing inflammation. We tried all kinds of ear solutions to soothe them. Vet here took a swab and said right away yeast infection, probably from the antibiotics she'd been on for her UTI.

We used 2 drops Panalog (also ointment) for 7 days which does have a steriod component but she needed the relief.

I now use a mild homemade recipe that has been a godsend every couple of weeks without any more issues. If you wind up with a recurrent infection, I'll pass it on if you're interested...but hoping all is well

Patty
                Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Originally posted by Patty View Post
                  Robert,
                  Was it a yeast infection of the ear? Do you know?

We used 2 drops Panalog (also ointment) for 7 days which does have a steriod component but she needed the relief.

I now use a mild homemade recipe that has been a godsend every couple of weeks without any more issues. If you wind up with a recurrent infection, I'll pass it on if you're interested...but hoping all is well

Patty
                  No idea on the yeast infection. Vet just looked in his ears, and noticed how Mik whimpered when touching his ears. [he no longer whimpers]

Is Panalog OTC or only vet supplied?

Yes, I would be interested in your recipe. Either post here or private.

thanks
                  bob

Comment

Panalog is prescription. Here's a description of it's ingredients:

How does Panolog Cream work?
                    The neomycin and thiostrepton in Panolog are antibiotics that kill susceptible bacteria. Nystatin is the antifungal ingredient that is active against yeast infections. Triamcinolone is a corticosteroid that helps reduce inflammation and associated itching. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=17903

I'm not much for steriods even topically but we were pretty desperate to ease her itching and it worked well.

I had posted the recipe to Lynne on the board last March. I went back and found the post:
                    http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthre...olution&page=3

Originally posted by Patty View Post
                    Hi Lynne,
                    Sorry to take so long in getting back to you. I wanted to check with the source to be sure it was ok to post, then my computer locked up last night.

I got the recipe from a friend who got it from a trained Classical homeopath. My vet back home and one here also approved it. I would consider using it after you get the swelling down and she's off her other meds as a preventative. I know with Ali, I had to address the acute pain/swelling before I could really get to the heart of the issue.

Like I said, we've tried so many different solutions. Many of them irritated her ears - especially those with acetic acid. The milder ones did nothing but keep her ears moist. We did have luck with the Petco brand ear powder. But it started caking after a while and bothering her.

I now use this as preventative once a week.
                    I apply a dropper-full to each ear, put a cotton ball in and massage 40 times. Then let her shake it out and wipe with the wet cotton ball.

Here's the recipe: 1 oz = 2 T
                    1 oz aloe vera juice
                    1 oz water
                    1 oz witch hazel (mine had 14% alcohol)
                    2 drops therapeutic grade lavender oil
                    1 drop organic raw apple cider vinegar
                    Mix together and store in glass dropper bottle. Mine keeps in the cupboard for about 3 months.

The solution is supposed to be "pretty benign and close to the body's own fluid with just enough of an edge to rid the yeast."

The therapeutic grade lavender oil is important. Therapeutic grade oils will state for internal or topical use. Cosmetic grade oils will state for external use only and could burn the ear.

Also, if you're going to remove some hair at the opening of the ear later, you could try using a boric acid type powder like R7. It should stick to the hair and allow it to be pulled out without pain.

My guess is it’s the underlying condition that’s causing the swelling. Hopefully the medications Lady's on can get the swelling/pain under control then you can get to where the bacteria/fungal infection may be. It may be that the vet found no bacteria because he can’t get a deep enough sample. Just a thought.

I found this regarding ear infections on a question/answer board: "The most common underlying cause is allergy, then probably immunosuppressive disorders (Cushing's would fall in this category) and then hormonal disorders, with hypothyroidism being the most common hormonal disorder associated with persistent ear infections." http://en.allexperts.com/q/Dogs-701/Ear-Problem-1.htm

Hoping Lady's meds give her some relief soon!
                    Take care,
                    Patty
                    When I first went hunting for the ingredients it was the lavendar oil ($16)and aloe vera juice (they only had a large bottle) that were a bit pricey but they really last forever and it's been well worth it for us. We've been using it for just about a year. I now use about 1/2-3/4 dropper full in each ear every 1 1/2 to 2 weeks for maintenance.

Take care,
                    Patty
                    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Many thanks.

I will discuss Panalog with vet if Mik shows any signs. I stopped the other med due to warnings on this site.

I can figure most everything on your recipe, but what kind of store carries: therapeutic grade lavender oil

Ordinary drug store? Health store? Or..?

Comment

Yeah, I found mine at a health food store in town. They had the 100% aloe vera juice, ACV, and a glass dropper bottle as well. The witch hazel I think I got at Walmart or Walgreens.

My lavender oil is made by Wyndmere. It says for external use only but on this page states they are therapeutic grade: http://wyndmerenaturals.com/store/pages.php?pageid=8

If you can't find one locally you could always order online...looks like this company has trial sizes too.

Patty

Comment

How can an 11 lb little dog drive me nuts!

Mik was doing great, eating right, lowering BG, gaining wt, but last night he decided, "I don't want to eat any more."

I finally gave up and injected basal unit of 1.0 IU. This am, he fussed for an hour, but since I'm not working, had the time to coax down about 100 calories. I gave him 1.5 IU.

Tonight he was almost impossible, walked away, refused to eat. Eventually, I got about 100 calories and only 1.5 IU.

He seems okay, no whining, no behavior that indicates his ear infection is back, moving well, doing his business well, just not eating.

Erggggghhhhh

Comment

Hi Robert,
                            Just wondering how the boys are doing. I hope Mik is eating again and we are just trying to keep a low profile.

John (Roxee's Dad)

Comment

Originally posted by Roxee'sDad View Post
                              Hi Robert,
                              Just wondering how the boys are doing. I hope Mik is eating again and we are just trying to keep a low profile.

John (Roxee's Dad)
                              Thanks for asking, John.

Yes, Mik is eating better now. His little hunger strike lasted about two days.

But I did learn a new trick. [a bit nervous about writing this down because the minute I do, he seems to know and then changes behavior on me.]

Mik is not overly excited at the first sight of his dog food bowl, AM or PM. [unlike Mak, who acts like he has not eaten for a week, and would gobble nails]

So Mik will manage about 50-100 calories or so. Then he "wants a break", because he will turn and leave the kitchen. About 15 -20 minutes later, he returns, but still not thrilled. I push a little food in his mouth, and then he figures it must not be poison.

So, he finishes the bowl!

At 11 1/4 pounds, and using some estimates on this site, Mik needs about 350 -400 calories to sustain wt. Perhaps less, because he has become so sedentary.

Using his 'two trips' to the bowl routine, he manages about 600-700 calories. He should be gaining more wt. I don't know where it goes.

Comment

I think I might be gaining it for him!

Natalie

Comment

Working...
                                X