Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Franklin has diabetes

Hi Shellie,

Thank you! So scooping him up, kissing him, telling him we make a great team, thanking Franklin for his help and raising his arm like he'd just won a boxing match wasn't over-reacting? Giggle

I'm sure in time I'll act like a normal person, but at this stage we're celebrating the baby steps
    Jane and Franklin
    Jane and Franklin, 8 years, maltese, currently 6.4kg, Australia. Cushing's with elevated hormones dx'd 2009/2010, proteinuria, epilepsy, diabetes dx'd July 2012. Phenobarb 30mg bid, 3mg melatonin bid, lignans sid, caninsulin 4.8u bid (a work in progress). Diet- home cooked. Blind from cataracts January 2013, sighted from surgery February 2013.

Comment

Most definitely NOT over reacting! LOL I always cheer and get excited so that Hank will know it's a great thing we just did even if he has no clue what happened. The more fun something is...and the more cuddles, kisses and cheering that occurrs, the more they like it! Did you manage any dancing around with the dog in your arms? I used to try that but Hank really isn't much of a dancer...prefers to just sit and look suave. Hugs!
      Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Haha Jane...too funny
        Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Hey Shellie and Patty, there was dancing involved also

Happy news! We did our first home curve! Woo hoo! We went with using the freestyle lite bc it needs less blood. I'd goofed a few with the true track in the previous couple of days.

Curve 31 August 2012

Freestyle lite
          07.35 - 24.3 mmol /437mgdl fasting
          07.40 - food
          08.00 - 4u caninsulin (10 marker on u100 syringe)
          09.10- 24.2/ 435
          11.25- 15.1/ 271
          13.08- 13.2/ 237
          15.00- 21.6/ 388 rechecked because I thought 'huh'?
          15.01- 21.9/ 394
          Did urine test. Glu 3+, ket. Neg
          Walked early to see what effect it had. (17 min walk)
          16.06- 26.7/ 480 what? He went up? Rechecked
          16.07- 19.4/ 349 again with the 'what?'. Do another (from the other pad)
          16.08 -HI
          17.15- food
          18.15- 27.0/ 486
          20.08- 21.6/ 388
          20.10- 4u insulin
          21.45- 21.4/ 385

Thank you again for the bathroom sink trick, perfect position and great access to the carpal pads.

Is there anything in particular you folks use or recommend as a treat for the prick tests? I used what I call crispies (stir fry beef pieces, boiled to remove fat, then baked to remove moisture. Kind of like a preservative free, poor man's schmacko/ jerky).

A couple of questions- is there a rough timeline for when to check for a food spike?
          A time to check after insulin?
          What is meant by a 'trend'? Is it similar results at similar times over a number of curves?
          Is there anything I can add into his commercial food that might bring his glucose down? He's refusing the royal canin diabetic food and his homecooked recipe. His nutritionist is unwell at the moment and isn't working.

His blood pressure vet said I should use emla cream if I do the ear pricks. It's a local anesthetic topical cream. I Googled it and it says to smear on a thick layer, put protective paper on it, leave it for 15 mins, wipe off and then do the thing. The numbing effect lasts for a couple of hours. The info about it says not to use on broken skin. If you're pricking for the day, the ear will have broken skin, right? It also says to keep away from the eyes. That's fine till he scratches his ear then rubs his eyes. Or rubs his head on the furniture. Does anyone find a numbing cream necessary? Franklin had no problem with me using his carpal pads today, so I'm thinking I might stick with that. But I'll need another spot to prick as a back up, won't I?

I really can't believe how easy the whole day went, it was amazing Gave ourselves a pat on the back for our good work, and more happy dancing

Love and appreciation to all
          Jane and Franklin
          Jane and Franklin, 8 years, maltese, currently 6.4kg, Australia. Cushing's with elevated hormones dx'd 2009/2010, proteinuria, epilepsy, diabetes dx'd July 2012. Phenobarb 30mg bid, 3mg melatonin bid, lignans sid, caninsulin 4.8u bid (a work in progress). Diet- home cooked. Blind from cataracts January 2013, sighted from surgery February 2013.

Comment

Hey Jane, I wanted to tell you that I did not like the True Track meter. When I got my Alpha Track I compared it and sometimes it read lower sometimes higher...no consistency.

Adding this... I didn't want to give two negatives and it wasn't my personal experience, but looking at your curve ( congratulations, by the way) I have also heard that the freestyle wasn't reliable. Sometimes the smaller models aren't as consistent. Is the LITE a little meter?

Wonder if any others have any experience with that meter.
            Last edited by Rubytuesday; 08-31-2012, 06:09 PM.
            Tara in honor of Ruby.
            She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
            Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

i agree with tara had problems with the true track especially in the higher range it could read a 100 points higher in a range like the 400s so if you are using that meter those 400s maybe be more like 300s and thats why you maybe getting strange readings that dont make sense been there done that it was accurate for us in the lower range below 150

if numbers pop out as out of place in your normal trend then it has a good chance that it is off especially in the higher range but i am sure you are still trying to figure out Franklins trend
              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Hi Tara,

Thanks very much for the congrats and yes it's the freestyle lite meter. I've had it since they first thought Franklin was diabetic a couple of years ago, but it turned out that the enalapril for his proteinuria raises blood glucose slightly.

Comment

Jane,
                  Is this still Franklin's diet?
                  Combo home cooked diabetic recipe, royal canin weight control kibble and a little bit of commercial food.

Wondering, do you weigh out each ingredient when you make it up?
                  What does his home cooked portion consist of? You might be able to make some tweaks there to level out his curve.

When insulin is starting to run out, exercise can sometimes drive bg upward.

The older Freestyle Lite meters used to be highly recommended, especially for smaller dogs. The newer ones seem to be less consistent. But I would just take your meter into the vet's office with you each chance you get to compare and make your judgement that way.

Congrats on the curve!!! Love the dancing
                  Patty
                  Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Hi Patty

Originally I had been weighing the portions, 250g home cooked 50g kibbles and 25g commercial. He didn't eat all of the meal. Then he got fussy and we went to 50g of the commercial. Franklin ate less and less of the home cooked so now its 200g commercial and 20g of the royal canin kibble. He mostly just pushes them out of the bowl.

Comment

Oops, home cooked recipe is 960g swedes /rutabaga 891g cooked barley, 810g orange roughy (fish) and 630g white meat chicken no skin. Supplements are added for balance and completeness. He'd never had swedes before and they stink like cabbage

Comment

I had to look up swedes (sort of a turnip). Never heard of them before. http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...nal-food-swede

Comment

So he's mainly eating the commercial food and pushing the Royal Canin around? What's the commercial food he's liking?

Comment

'My Dog' made by Mars petcare. He's eaten it for probably half his life. Franklin loved his recipe before diabetes dx. Is it the amount of calories that matter, or where the calories come from (fat, protein, carbs)?
                            I put half a slice of cheese on Franklin's sampler plate at jab time, it's low fat cheese with less carbs and sugars than regular cheese, but it has more calories. Am I doing the wrong thing?

Jane and Franklin - 7.5 years, 7kg maltese, Australia- focal motor behaviour seizures led to cushing's dx'd 2009, atypical dx'd 2010 along with proteinuria, gall bladder sludge 2011, grand mal seizures 2012, diabetes dx'd July 2012.
                            On melatonin and lignans for atypical cushing's, enalfor for proteinuria, phenobarb for epilepsy and 4u caninsulin bid.

Comment

Jane,
                              Is it the Adult dry food? Which flavor? http://www.mydog.com.au/TemptingMenu.aspx

Calories are important for maintaining weight. But when balancing food with insulin it is also about the ratio of carbs, protein, etc. There isn't one set food or ratio that works for all dogs. It has more to do with how your dog processes the insulin and how fast/slow the food is converted to glucose to match the action of the insulin. This is a great article that talks about the food/insulin "race." http://www.k9diabetes.com/insulinfood.html

Patty

Comment

Hi Patty

Yes, that's the stuff. He really likes the gourmet beef, beef and liver, lamb, lamb and veggies, and the chicken and turkey flavors.

Jane and Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X