Libby - newly diagnosed chocolate Lab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Libby - newly diagnosed chocolate Lab

The game changer here is that your dog is showing trace ketones. This is not entirely uncommon with newly diagnosed dogs, but is something to pay attention to. You do not want those to elevate, and since her glucose is really very high and she is on a small dose for her size, it is reasonable to increase her insulin more quickly.

I think quite a few of us manage our dog's diabetes basically on our own. Sadly, many vets are not well educated about diabetes and just don't do a good job managing a diabetic dog.

You are already doing curves, and you already know to watch out for low blood sugar. I think you're safe increasing her right now.
    Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Thank you for your responses!

I did raise Libby's dose today. Spoke to the vet and she suggested 24 units but I went to 26. Libby had a pretty good day. Today's curve also suggested some downward movement which I was very pleased about!! Got a number in the 400's which is the best I've seen in weeks. Still some trace ketones but hopefully those will improve. I know my move was a bit drastic so I am going to stick with it for a few days probably before increasing more.

Today's numbers

723 (taken right before first feeding and injection)
      700(taken right before second feeding and injection)

I am using an Alphatrak meter. But as you can see, there was some improvment - it just didn't last unfortunately.

What do you think?

Thanks again -
      Claudia

Comment

It's a start! The fact that you got some movement is terrific. Let's see what happens over the next few days as the dose settles.
        Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

I hope the increase will start to lower her sugar some. The vet is being a tad overly conservative but my vet is pretty conservative. It is funny - my vet never had a client who home tested and during the first appointment, I told him it was not negotiable. I had almost lost Maggie to some bad vet advice. He made me agree finally to not changing anything without consulting him. And I called him every time and finally he said that I knew her like a book and that I should do what I think is right. I still take her in when she has problems but I handle all of her dosing, but geez after 7 years, surely I can do that.

You will, too - just keep reading and researching and testing. Don't go off the deep end with increasing because you can pass the correct dose. I rarely call them magic numbers because there is nothing magical. Just a lot of hard work!
          Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Question - what causes the nausea? Libby seems OK today but I can tell she is nauseous? Does the insulin cause the nausea or the blood sugar? Or the ketones? Just curious?

I also am noticing the neuropathy is moving to her front legs. She is very unstable on her legs. Does this reverse with adequate control? I hope so. I am fearful she will fall down the stairs or something and end up with something broken.

Thank you - will check more numbers today. I hope we see even better numbers!!!!! Keep your fingers crossed!

Claudia

Comment

yes it seems like the larger dogs are more prone to it

better blood sugar is the key but it takes some time to recover

higher sugar can make them not feel well but keep in mind pancreatits can be a complication that does show up with our pups if going to the vet testing for it maybe prudent even if you dont see all the symptoms

if struggling with blood sugar at higher levels you maybe be able to add a fast acting insulin to give some temporary relief but it can muddy the waters as far as regulation and finding that long term dose . we went that direction because of jesses health was not good at that time

sometimes the situation dictates what needs to be done
              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Wow Claudia! I am so sorry you are having such problems with Libby! Our lab, Vinny, is one of those that was relatively easy compared to what you have going on! I can tell you when we've had issues, I have not been afraid to raise or lower Vinny on my own checking Vinny along the way. You certainly seem to have a grasp on things.
                I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers!
                Mel and Vinny
                Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

Working...
                X